Welcome to English Language /TESOL/ Applied Linguistics
Our degree programmes look at ways of analysing language knowledge and language use across contexts and time. We look at:
- how language is used in everyday communication including in different contexts;
- how language has developed over time;
- how we learn our first language and subsequent languages;
- how language operates in bilingual contexts;
- how we produce and understand language in real time as well as,
- how the underlying language system works for sounds and grammar.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
In the TESOL section, we also look at the challenge of learning and teaching of English as a new language, including:
- how different methods are used to teach language;
- how children learn an additional language;
- how theories of second language acquisition relate to teaching;
- how current research into English Language Teaching informs practice.
Opportunities offered to students on our BA degrees include the chance to obtain an internationally recognised, professional teaching qualification (Cambridge CELTA), and the chance to spend a semester or a year studying abroad.