Stay safe overseas...

Students in Boat

Be prepared for your time abroad

Before you travel, it is important that you take into consideration any issues relating to your health and wellbeing and make the necessary arrangements. 

Swansea University Travel Insurance
500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Insurance information section on MyUniHub. It is your responsibility to review this policy and check it suits your particular needs. If it does not then you will need to purchase supplementary cover. If you decide to extend your stay abroad you will need to purchase additional travel insurance.

Medical Emergency Abroad
If you have a medical emergency whilst abroad and need assistance through the travel insurance described above, you or someone on your behalf must contact Global Response who will help with any ambulance/hospital bills. Contact information is provided in the travel insurance policy. Failure to do so may make the above Travel Insurance cover null and void. 

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
If you are studying Europe you will need to apply for a student EHIC. Applications cannot be completed online or over the phone. We will provide you with a letter which will need to be submitted with your application this will confirm the following:

  • name and address of the UK educational institution
  • address of where you're studying overseas
  • details of the qualification you're studying for
  • date your course started
  • the date you're due to finish your course

More information on the application can be found on the student EHIC website.

Contact your GP
If you have an on-going medical condition make sure that you have a letter from your GP/hospital that states you are fit to travel, and also always take a list of the medication that you need with you. If you are prescribed or take any regular medication (including contraception), discuss the process of continuing your prescription abroad with your GP. Remember that medication, trade names and dosage levels may vary abroad. If you are going to Europe, obtain translated copies of any important health documentation you may have.

Vaccinations and Immunisations
You should ensure that you receive all the necessary vaccinations relevant to the country you will be living in, including any countries which you intend to travel to during the holidays. You should visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website for an up-to-date list of required vaccinations, along with important general travel advice.

Additional Support

If you require additional support to undertake your period abroad, please be sure to contact the relevant service here at Swansea University well in advance of your travels. You may wish to contact the Disability Office or Wellbeing Services on campus.